Welcome to your Measurement WebQuest. We are going to have a lot of fun
learning new things, playing games and exploring the internet. So get your
thinking hats on and your measuring tools ready.
Measurement, Length, Rulers...Here We Come!!!
What are we talking about when we mention length? Is it the shape of an
object? The name of the object? Or is it have to do with how LONG the object may
Let's find out...
When we are talking about length we are referring to the distance from one point to another. You could think of it from the START point to the FINISH point!
Click on the below links for some
Example No. 1
Example No. 2
Example No. 3
Remember in the last lesson we made some measurements using our
In this lesson we will be measuring the length of objects using different tools of measurement other than your pencils.
Have a look at the below video to see how this teacher is measuring the length of a table
using some small bean bags. Notice which part of the desk she is measuring...
I'll give you a hint (ITS THE LENGTH)...
CLICK HERE to watch the video
1. For this activity you will need to be in a group of 3. Please find your group now!
2. In the video you would have just watched the teacher uses some small bean bags of tag bags to measure the length of the desk. For this activity you will need to choose
an object that you would like to use to make some measurements.
Do this now...
3. What did you choose? A pencil, your pencil case, a glue stick? Check with your teacher to see if the tool you have chosen will work for this activity?
Do this now!
4. Now that we have our tools we need to do some measuring, like the teacher did in the video. Let's look at some things we could measure...
Remember you are measuring the length of these objects. If you cant remember what
length means please go back to the examples at the beginning.
1. In your groups you need to choose two of the above lengths mentioned and measure them using the tool you and your group chose.
2. You will find a worksheet (given to you by your teacher) and complete to later on share with the rest of your class members.
CLICK FOR WORKSHEET (Only if your teacher did not give you one)
Do this now...
How did you go? I hope you had fun in this lesson and because you worked so
hard there is a link below for you to watch and enjoy that explores length with
Sid the Science Kid!
CLICK HERE TO WATCH
**MEASURING LENGTH USING A RULER**
1. Lets start with a game everyone to get our minds thinking about measurement...
CLICK FOR GAME
2.Please get a ruler out...
Are you ready to play with your rulers? Lets do that now...
3. Below you will find four different pictures in the links below. It is your job to enter these links and measure the picture inside. We are not going to use the lines and numbers on our rulers yet because I want you to practice just measuring length first, so on your ruler just place a coloured line on where the length of the objects finish.
Let's Begin... Use the QR Codes for each picture.
How did you go?
4. How about you take some time now to visit some of your friends and see how they did. Did they get the same answers as you?
Go see them now and check where their coloured lines are on their rulers...
Great Job Everyone!!
Your reward... Games, Games, and more Games!
First Grade Code.org